It’s summertime in Tulsa — and that means it’s time for backyard get-togethers, barbecues, pool parties and all the fun in the sun you can imagine having with family and friends. But before you invite everyone over for a big, sunny bash, you’ll want to be sure your outdoor spaces are prepared for all that outdoor fun. And for many homeowners, that can feel a bit intimidating or frustrating.
After all, you know all your yard’s flaws and needs. You notice the little things — and maybe even the not so little things — that require attention to make your backyard a perfect spot for entertaining and relaxing during the warmer months. And the last thing you want is to feel like your yard just doesn’t measure up.
Prep Your Yard for Summer Fun This Year
Fortunately, there are many ways you can upgrade your outdoor spaces to give yourself a yard that impresses guests and makes you proud of your landscaping.
Some of these 7 ideas are DIY projects you can start now to get ready to ramp up your outdoor fun. And some of these suggestions may require planning and design help from landscaping experts who can create a beautiful, comfortable yard that you can fully enjoy. All 7 of these ideas, though, are sure to make you smile when you spend time in your backyard and outdoor areas this summer.
1. Make a Place for Fire
Whether you prefer a decorative terracotta chiminea to cheer your patio or you want a large fire pit built with stone and gravel in the middle of your lawn, it’s worth investing in ways to keep things warm and bright when you’re enjoying the outdoors. Fire pits and chimineas are great ways to keep the party going even after the summer weather begins to cool. Plus—it’s a great way to allow children to roast marshmallows and make s’mores. Customize the space with Adirondack chairs and other furnishings that invite everyone to relax around the fire.
2. Build a Tree House
Speaking of the kids among your family and friends — why not invest in a fun place for them to play in the safety of your own backyard? A tree house or fort is a great choice. If you’re good with power tools, you can build your own treehouse with just a few materials that are easy to obtain from the local home care store or hardware store. Or, you can visit your local stores to find already-built or easy-to-construct playsets that you can erect before your next outdoor party.
3. Add Comfy Furnishings
To create an inviting, warm outdoor space where it’s easy for family and guests to linger, you’ll want to offer plenty of comfortable seating, tables, and other functional pieces. Here are some fun DIY ideas:
- Give your existing furnishings a lift by applying a fresh coat of paint to chairs and tables, investing in new cushions, or adding new flowers to planters.
- Look for furniture that you can repurpose into outdoor seating.
- Take two old wooden chairs, sand and treat them, and cover both seats with one large piece of wood to create a fun bench.
4. Install an Outdoor Kitchen
Outdoor entertaining is a lot easier when you plan for ways to feed everyone that don’t require you to spend hours inside in your kitchen while everyone else is outside enjoying themselves. A well-designed grilling area solves that problem, and you can customize your outside cooking space by installing whatever you would use most, such as:
- A built-in barbecue
- A brick oven
- A working sink
- A refrigerator
5. Create Pergolas
Pergolas are an excellent landscaping choice for homeowners in the Tulsa area. Pergolas add variety and versatility to your yard, allowing you to create added outdoor space that feels intimate and inviting. They allow for increased natural beauty and protection from the elements, helping you maximize your outdoor time. Add extra touches of beauty with:
- Vines and climbing flowers that can cover the pergolas and add natural loveliness
- Hang Chinese lanterns or twinkle lights for a touch of magic
6. Invest in Hardscaping Features
To create a well-balanced visual appearance for your home exterior, you need a blend of both “soft” features such as ground cover and flowers, and “hard” elements such as walls, stone pathways, and flagstone. It’s easy to overlook hardscaping features, because they require planning and investment to install them. But with the right hardscape features, you can enjoy:
- Smooth, attractive walkways that are comfortable to navigate
- Eye-catching stone patios that offer relaxing spaces for entertaining
- Defined flower beds and other walled landscaping elements that add variety and appeal
7. Brighten Spaces with Outdoor Lighting
One of the most practical, value-adding investments you can make for your home’s outdoor spaces is to install beautiful landscape lighting features. Landscape lighting serves many purposes that make a home stand out:
- Use it to highlight your favorite home landscaping features, like an outstanding entryway or a lovely yard statuette that you’re proud of.
- Set it along your driveway and pathways to ensure your family and friends enter and exit safely in the evening hours.
- Install creative lighting features like twinkle lights that give your outdoor entertaining areas an extra boost of charm and whimsy.
Beautiful Landscaping to Accent Your Tulsa Area Home
This summer, why not create attractive landscaping features that improve your home and add value? And remember, it doesn’t have to be difficult or time-consuming to do so — not when you call on the creative, experienced team at ProActive Landscaping.
From installing beautiful pergolas and designing Tulsa-specific landscaping to repairing irrigation systems, managing commercial grounds, and adding outdoor lighting and hardscape features, we’ll help you get your outdoor spaces ready for summer fun. Contact us today to receive a free quote for your landscaping projects — and enjoy outdoor spaces that satisfy you for years to come.