With the holidays swiftly approaching, homeowners begin thinking about decorating with colorful, fun Christmas lights. Installing the right holiday lights can make your home pop with amazing color and festive verve. But which type of lighting should you choose to adorn your home during the holidays? Is it better to use incandescent lighting or LEDs? Which option is right for you? Here’s the need-to-know about incandescent lights and LED Christmas lights, so you can make an informed decision this holiday season.
What Is Incandescent Lighting?
Incandescent lights are the bulbs you mostly likely grew up with and have been using at home for years. They contain a wire filament that is heated with electricity until it glows, giving off light. If you have holiday lights that are several years old, they are probably incandescent lights.
Benefits of incandescent lighting:
- Available — Many families already have a supply of incandescent lights from previous years.
- Inexpensive to purchase — Since incandescents are an older technology, you’ll find it doesn’t cost much to buy a new string of lights at the local store.
- Fragile — The glass bulbs are easily broken, making them difficult to install and store without mishaps.
- Easily burn out — It’s not just the glass that makes an incandescent bulb fragile. The wires that produce their light burn out easily, meaning you have to replace them frequently.
- Risk of fire — Incandescent lights produce heat to produce light. So, they obviously run hot, especially when illuminated for long periods. This heat can cause electrical circuits to overload. If the bulbs lean against fabrics or paper, a fire can start.
- Not true colors — Incandescent lights only produce white light. What gives them color is the film or shading added to their glass. If the shading fades or gets scratched — which is common — the lights won’t produce a consistent color.
- Being phased out — Legislation has already phased out the production of some incandescent lights, and others are on the chopping block. Soon, these lights will no longer be available (so the replacement bulbs won’t be available either).
What Are LED Lights?
LED lighting consists of a diode that gives off energy and light when activated. This form of lighting has become more common in the last few years as people discover the advantages of LED over incandescent bulbs. Many of the modern Christmas lighting displays you see these days feature modern LED lights.
- Safe — LED lights don’t generate a lot of heat. They’re cool to the touch, so children won’t burn their fingers if they touch the bulbs. And they’re not likely to start a fire.
- Energy-efficient — LED lighting requires much less energy — as much as 90% less than incandescents — in order to function.
- Long-lasting — LEDs are made to last for years, much longer than old-style, incandescent bulbs. They are also more resilient, making it easier to hang them and store them without damaging them.
- Cost-effective — Since they don’t burn out frequently and they use less energy, LEDs cost homeowners a lot less over time than incandescent bulbs.
- True colors — Because LEDs are made with diodes that conduct electricity, they can be designed to give off different colors as a part of their natural function. That color stays consistent, giving your LED lights a true, rich, bright glow all the time.
- Great in cold temperatures — Believe it or not, LED lights love cold temperatures. They glow brighter as it gets colder, while still working efficiently, which makes them ideal for holiday decorations.
- Significant initial investment — As with any upgrades to your home, LED lights may require you to spend money upfront. But since they last longer than other bulbs, store well, and use less energy, they cost less in the long-run than incandescent bulbs.
So, which form of holiday lighting is better for your home? While you should certainly choose what fits your personal style and budget, if you’re ready to invest in new lighting, LED lights make a great choice.
Professional Installation Makes Holiday Home Lighting Simple
ProActive Landscaping has served as top holiday lighting experts in Tulsa for years. Our creative team works closely with you to choose a decorative approach that fits your home and personal style, and we make Christmas lights installation a breeze. We do all the installation work — so you can enjoy your home and your family at this joyous season.
To set up a free, friendly consultation for professional Christmas light installation on your Tulsa home, contact us at 918-808-8418. We’ll beautify your home in no time.